If you’re serious about building a profitable blog, you can’t simply hit Publish, walk away, and wait for your post to make $10,000.
I mean, you could… but you might be waiting a while.
Blogs make money when they are highly visible. There are many different strategies that help boost the visibility of your blog, some that are highly technical and others that you can do in your sleep.
Even if you’re still trying to wrap your head around SEO, keywords, and rankings, there’s one type of blog promotion that you probably already intuitively understand: social media!
Social media is no longer just a place to share pictures of your trip to the Superbowl or “like” your best friend’s new relationship status. Social media sites like Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, and Instagram give bloggers the ultimate opportunity to make themselves seen and heard.
Consider the benefits to your blog when you develop a comprehensive social media strategy:
- Increase brand awareness
- Connect with your audience (You’re real! You’re human!)
- Drive sales and revenue
- Generate more leads
- Increase website traffic
- Grow a larger audience base
Today we’re going to cover the most important points about social media so that you know exactly how to incorporate it into your larger blogging-for-success strategy.
How to Prepare Your Blog for Social Media Promotion
More than 4.5 billion people use the internet on a regular basis. That number is hard to fathom, but the math is clear: if your blog attracts even a tiny fraction of those 4.5 billion potential viewers, you’ll have yourself one heckuva’ successful blog.
Every post that you create on social media leaves a breadcrumb to help internet users to find your blog. Here’s how to lay the groundwork for this phenomenon.
1. Select Your Social Media Platforms
You don’t need to conquer every single social media platform. In fact, I strongly recommend against it!
Don’t spread yourself thin and overstretch your resources by trying to make waves on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, Pinterest, LinkedIn, TikTok, Snapchat… you get my drift.
Instead, select one or two sites that you believe can help you connect with readers who find value in your blog content. Concentrate your time and energy on maximizing potential promotions on those platforms. For example, if your blog is highly visual, Instagram is the perfect match.
2. Use Social Sharing Buttons
Social media is a give-and-take. You’re not the only one who can post your content to Facebook, Twitter, and the rest! Be sure to include social sharing buttons so that your readers can share the content they love with their own social media crew. This step is vital to generating social media buzz around your articles.
You can even program your blog to show exactly how many times an article has been shared. This simple addition confirms the legitimacy and value of your blog to other readers and makes them more likely to share it themselves!
3. Implement the Best Automated Tools
You don’t have to do everything by hand. Just like a calculator makes math easier, social media tools are available to automate your social media efforts. Sites like Buffer, WordPress Sharing, and Hootsuite make it do-it-in-your-sleep easy to schedule posts, publish the same post on multiple social media sites, and more.
So even while you cook dinner, workout, or spend time with your family, your social media presence can still be working hard for you.
Put Your Blog Post Out There: How to Promote on Social Media
Now it’s time to build upon your foundation and start promoting your blog on social media.
1. Share on Facebook
Facebook is like the glue that holds social media together. Even if you’re not wild about Facebook, its 2.6 billion monthly active users give you quite a few reasons to make your blog known on the biggest social network site in the world.
Try these Facebook tips to promote your blog without feeling too self-promotion-y:
- Become an active member of Facebook groups related to your blog niche. Build trust with members and slowly introduce your blog content they’d find valuable and relevant
- Promote other bloggers. This “think in reverse” mentality is actually incredibly useful. Promote others, and they’ll promote you back, giving you exposure to a whole new set of readers!
- Greet new Facebook friends personally. You don’t have to shove your blog down their throats; ask a question, get to know them, and subtly guide them back to your blog in the course of conversation.
- Post short snippets of your blog, like a quote or intriguing sentence, each day to encourage people to click through and read the full blog.
Brock McGoff of The Modest Man promotes a recently published blog post on his Facebook page.
2. Tweet With the Best
Twitter is its own unique universe. If you aren’t already a Twitter user, take a few minutes to become familiar with its tweeting and retweeting structure. Then take tho the Twitterverse with your own ideas:
- Search for tweets that contain relevant to your blog niche. Select a few influential people (500+ followers) and reply to their tweets. This opens a conversation and helps you create connections on the platform.
- Direct message (DM) new connections to build relationships and new networking opportunities. If it feels natural, share your content with them and ask to learn more about theirs.
- Don’t be afraid to blend your personal and professional life to make yourself more relatable to readers.
3. Drive Traffic With Pinterest
Pinterest is an important player in your blog’s long-term success. With the right execution, Pinterest pins are 100 times more spreadable than tweets.
So don’t fall for the myth that Pinterest is only valuable for blogs in the wedding and DIY niches! Use these tips to make this social media site one of your most powerful marketing tools:
- Sign up for a free Pinterest for business account to access Pinterest analytics
- Apply for Rich Pins (pins with more information) to promote your blog entry with your logo, headline, and link
- Create Pin-worthy images with vibrant colors, a contextual background, and high-resolution photos and graphics
- Include text in your image to draw attention and generate traffic
Adding text to your Pinterest images can make them more engaging and generate more traffic to your blog.
Quick Tried-and-True Social Media Tips
I could write an entire novel on using social media to promote your blog (and I’m sure some people already have!)
But today I just want to introduce the basics and add a bit of creative fuel to your fire. So check out these ten simple tried-and-true social media techniques. Add one, two, or seven into your repertoire and assess how they work!
1. Run a contest to encourage reader interactions and shares.
2. Reply to the people who share or comment on your post to forge strong connections.
3. Use relevant keywords on your Pinterest board names, plus several keywords in your pin descriptions
4. Use a tool like Buffer to identify the best times to tweet each day.
5. Celebrate meaningful milestones with your readers and subscribers (25k likes! 3 years!)
6. Include video content whenever possible – video is the Content King right now.
7. Use a free tool like Canva to design scroll-stopping images (without any prior graphic design knowledge).
8. Promote your blogging journey or niche-related information using Instagram stories.
At the end of the day, social media generates visibility, and visibility generates revenue. You don’t have to master every corner of the social media universe by next week, so don’t burden yourself with unrealistic expectations.
Pick a place to start and build your social media footprint slowly and strategically. You may be surprised to see just how much it pays off!
To learn more about the powerful combination of blogging and social media, take the 30 Day Blogging Course. Sign up now to get your blog up and running in just one month.
What are your best social media tips and tricks? Feel free to share them in the comments below 🙂